My journey to win over the trust and love
of abused and rescued mill breeder Shelties.


Recent Posts

Debbie's Smile
Thank You!
Letting Debbie Go
Sick to Deathly Ill
A Parting Prayer
Little Debbie Loss
Lucy Blue
The Diary of Lucy Blue...



Kansas City Sheltie Rescue
LL Dog Rescue
Sheltie Nation
The Adventures of Bea and Byrdie
Sheltie Tales
Sheltie Rescues
Adopt A Pet Video
Claycomo Animal Hospital
Shy Dog FAQ
Troubled Shelties
Josh & Jessie's Blog
Tatha's Garden
Reporting Puppy Mills

Reading List

   "Help for your Shy Dog"
by Deborah Wood
"Cautious Canine"

by Patricia B. McConnell

"How to be Your Dog's Best Friend"
by the Monks of New Skete





Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

Welcome to Winning Duncan Over! You will find in these pages the story of a Shetland Sheep dog who spent 8 years as a puppy mill stud dog before being rescued. Duncan's rescue is only the beginning of the story however. A great deal of time, work, love and patience is needed to turn an abused puppy mill dog into a happy and healthy pet, and that is the story told here. If you would like to read Duncan's full story I recommend that you start in the Archives at the left with February 2007 - when it all began for me, Duncan's guardian. Thank you for visiting Duncan's site, and please tell a friend!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

One Month

I was thinking about Little Debbie tonight and particularly missing her. I miss her being at my feet. I miss her following me around the house. I miss her when the dogs come in from the back yard and there are only two there, not three. I miss laying on the bed with her and petting her and rubbing her long nose and her little belly. I miss her jumping up and putting her front paws on my lap and quietly pawing at me to pet her when I'm sitting here at the computer.

I hadn't opened the box with her ashes in it yet. I'd really been saving it till this spring when I can spread them in my iris garden. But I decided to open it and sat down with the box and spent a few minutes remembering her.

I opened the envelope with the crematory order and the rainbow bridge poem in it and read through everything again that I had already read. I haven't really been keeping track of the time... When I looked at the cremation certificate, it said December 15th. I guess I was thinking about her so much and missing her so much because I somehow knew that it had been a month.

It seems like longer for some reason. I've never had to let a pet go that had not been with me for many, many years. I had her such a short time-just two. She was so happy and joyful and playful. Such a sweet little girl. And she loved me so much.

posted by Tatha at 12:52 AM
Read 2 Comments or Post a Comment
Email This Post
Bookmark and Share


Blogger My Crafty Little Page said...

It's so hard isn't it? I know Debbie had her happiest two years of her life with you and Duncan. I was so stunned when I read that she had died - I lost my sheltie Lilly last summer and I hadn't read your blog since she died. I hope Duncan is okay - I'll bet he misses her. So Sorry :( Nancy

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also so shocked to read about Debbie being gone. I agree Debbie must have had just about a perfect life with you. I work in an office with 3 other women who lost older dogs in the past 15 months. Joyfully, one has adopted a new 2-year old Malti-poo in December (he comes to work with her every day) and the other 2 women are "looking". We sit around and look at dog pictures on the shelter and rescue sites all day when we should be working.... I hope you can open your heart to another dog before too much time passes. -- Donna in VA

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Create a Link


designed by "In His Image" Copyright © 2007 - Duncan's Blog - All Rights Reserved